Gossamer

Welcome Spring! What took you so long?!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

ReDone--the Volvo logo

I have a Volvo, a used 2002 S60 that now has 164K miles on it (yikes!). I've had it for five years now and really like it. I've washed it a few times, taking care to get into nooks and crannies to get them clean, going over the glass and the chrome...and the logo. The logo--apparently I never paid too much attention to it. I know what I thought it looked like but I just didn't pay too much to detail.
As I did some research I found an old logo and upon examining it saw that it still resembled the current one but then I noticed that it had the male gender symbol, you know, the circle with the connected arrow pointing to the right and I thought to myself, "Hmm self," I said, " I'm glad they took that off the logo." Well, it turns out that they have not taken that off the logo.
Going on a volvoclub.org site I found an explanation for the name, the original logo design, and just what that diagonal bar means.
Here is a picture of the original logo design:
In a synopsis, Volvo comes from the latin "volvere" to roll, and Volvo thus means "I roll." (I'm hoping the reference is to rolling down the street and not a tumbling effect if ever in a crash.) The diagonal bar was intended to keep the front grill from falling off and the male gender symbol is intended to pertain to the planet Mars in the Roman Empire and also the ancient chemical symbol for iron. Iron symbolized steel and strength.
And so now, the new logo:Still the circle with the arrow and now the product name is included. The diagonal bar is still a part of the front grill but it doesn't serve a purpose other than the association it makes with the logo. This new logo is definitely an improvement!
But can we talk about the product name on the back of the trunk? This is the new product name on the trunk:
A lot of chrome and the letters are really spaced widely. I don't like it. It was not, in my opinion, an improvement on what was. It looks cheap in appearance and I wish they'd reconsider the old way:

Sometimes what's new is not what's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment